This easy diy St. Patrick’s day pot of gold is SO cute! And costs almost nothing to create. Plus, it is a great St. Patrick’s Day table decoration that can be easily be reused.
To get the look of the DIY pot of gold, I made the bucket and then filled it with crumpled newspaper. I then placed the rock gold nuggets on top so you can’t see the newspaper. So easy!
In the supply list below, you will see that I use Oui Yogurt jars. I LOVE these jars!!! They are too cute and SO useful. Plus, if you do a quick search online, you will find lids for them. Game-changer!!
How-to Make DIY St. Patrick’s Day Pot of Gold
- Enjoy eating your selected Oui Yogurt. Yum!
- Clean the jar with soap and water, removing the label. If the glue residue is hard to remove, use Goo-Gone to get it off. This stuff is great for removing sticky residue!
- Cover your work area with scrap paper.
- Paint the outside of the jar with black craft paint.
- I used matte black, because I like the look, but you can use shiny paint if you prefer a newer look to the bucket.
- You can use spray paint, too.
- Let dry 1 hour to ensure all areas are covered and add a second coat of paint. Don’t forget the top lip of the jar.
- Fini! That’s it. Easy-peasy!!
Gold Nuggets Supplies Needed
- Little rocks (I grabbed mine from outside – no need to buy any)
- Gold spray paint
Gold Nuggets How to Instructions
- Layout newspaper on the surface you will be spray painting. *Note: little particles of spray paint go far, so cover more surface area than you think necessary. And do it outside or in a well-ventilated area.
- Place rocks on the newspaper.
- Spray one light coat of gold paint, approximately 8” from the rocks. Be sure to cover the rocks, but don’t spray too much, or the paint will drip and won’t look good.
- Let dry for 30 minutes and spray a second light coat of paint.
- Flip rocks over and repeat spray painting process.
- Fini! You now have cute St. Patrick’s Day gold.
Total project cost = less than $10
- Oui Yogurt = apx $1.50
- Black paint = less than $1 from craft store
- Gold spray paint = apx $7 from hardware store
*Add them to your St. Patrick’s Day table as part of a cute centerpiece!