Making simple DIY Mardi Gras masks is fun and an easy way to create decorations for your party. You can either do all of the masks yourself, or you can provide the supplies for friends and family to create their own.
When creating Mardi Gras masks keep in mind that Mardi Gras colors are purple, gold and green, but you don’t have to stick them if you don’t want to.
*If you are planning for guests to create their own Mardi Gras masks, it is a good idea to have the masks already painted with a base color.
Supplies Needed for Mardi Gras Mask
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. I may get commissions (at no cost to you) for purchases made through these links. You can read my full disclosure for more details.
How to Make Simple DIY Mardi Gras Masks
- Layout newspaper on the surface you will be spray painting. *Note: little particles of spray paint go far, so cover more surface area then you think necessary.
- Lay mask on newspaper.
- Start spraying (8” from mask) on one side and spray across. Spray one light coat of paint, covering the mask(s). Don’t spray directly, or too much at once, as the paint will drip and won’t look good.
- Let dry 30 minutes and spray a second light coat of paint. If needed, spray a third coat.
- Once the mask is dry, have fun decorating it.
- Use glue that has a tip to create a design on the mask.
- Put down newspaper and then while the glue is still wet, cover it with glitter.
- Wait until the glue is dry to remove the glitter. Turn the mask on its side, so the glitter falls onto the newspaper. You can then easily funnel the glitter back into its container for future use.
- Gather the feathers you want to use and decide on how they will best look together, before adding to the mask.
- Using craft glue, adhere the feathers to the mask
- Refer to instructions for glitter.
- Or, depending on the size of the sequins, you can glue them individually to the mask.
Total project cost = less than $15 (for 3 masks)
- Mask (3 pack) = $2 from craft store
- Spray paint = apx $7 from hardware store
- Glitter = $1.50 from craft store
- Feathers = $3 from craft store
*To create the two color diy Mardi Gras mask:
- Get a piece of newspaper a little larger than the mask.
- Add painter’s tape to one side of the newspaper. Make sure to have half of the tape exposed.
- Tape the newspaper to the mask. Make sure to cover all of the areas you don’t want to be painted, and that there are no gaps in the tape, or the paint will seep through.
- Spray the mask as directed above.
- Once the mask is dry, remove the tape. If you want to paint the other side a different color, just repeat the same process, covering the painted area of the mask.