Simple No Sew Linen Napkins
I love nice linen napkins! They have such a wonderful texture and soft feeling to them. Unfortunately, many stores don’t carry them, or they are out of my budget. However, it is so easy to make no sew linen napkins, that I just do it myself.
Linen is available in lots of colors and patterns, so you should easily be able to find a fabric that will coordinate with your table setting.
To make these simple linen napkins, all you need is the linen fabric of your choice and scissors. No sewing required! Since there is no sewing, we will fray the edges of the napkins. Which, in my opinion, is a really nice effect, and adds to the look of the finished napkins.
Below are instructions to make a standard dinner napkin size, which is 20” x 20”.
Supplies for DIY linen table napkins
- 2 ½ yards 100% linen fabric (if less than 60” wide)
Project cost: dependent on fabric choice.
How to make no sew linen napkins
- First: wash the linen in warm water, on the delicate cycle. This will remove any residue from the manufacturing of the linen. Then tumble dry on low.
- Iron the fabric to remove most of the wrinkles.
- To ensure a straight edge, snip about ½” from the raw edge, on the salvage. The salvage is the edge of the fabric that doesn’t have any loose threads. (see image)
- Separate a thread from where you just cut and slowly pull the thread out of the fabric. It will cause the linen to pucker, so gently push the puckering toward the opposite end of the fabric. This will result in a void in the fabric (space where the thread used to be). This is your guide to cut and will result in a straight edge of the fabric.
- If the thread breaks as you pull it out, just smooth the fabric out and cut the length of the void. Cut a little past the void and separate a thread from the fabric and repeat the process until you have pulled the thread through the whole length of fabric.
- Measure 20” from your new straight edge and repeat steps 3 and 4. You will now have a piece of linen that is 20” wide by the length of your fabric. Continue to do this with the rest of your linen. This will result in four sets of 20” wide fabric.
- To create the 20” square linen napkin, you will first need to remove one of the salvage edges. To do this measure ½” up from the salvage and follow steps 3 and 4 from above. Once you have removed the salvage edge, measure 20” from that edge and repeat steps 3 and 4. Continue to do this with each strip until you have eight 20” x 20” square dinner napkins.
- To finish the linen napkins and give them frayed edges, start with removing 5 threads from each edge. You will probably need to remove them one at a time. (hint: this is a great project to do while watching TV, haha)
- If you want a wider frayed edge, remove more threads until you obtain the look you desire.
Fini! So easy you might just start making them in every color, or as gifts for friends and family, lol!
Enjoy your simple DIY no sew linen napkins for years to come.